Selling safely - top tips for sellers
Always use common sense when buying or selling. Below are some guidelines that may help when selling goods through classified ads.
- Arrange a time and place you feel comfortable with
- Meet in a well-lit, public place (covered by CCTV if you want to be extra cautious).
- Don't meet the buyer alone if you are not meeting in a public place.
- Give somebody else the details of whom you're meeting, and where and when you are meeting them.
- Keep your mobile phone with you.
- If you live alone, don't let the buyer know- it is none of their business.
- if the buyer has to come into your house, keep valuable goods out of view.
- Remember that the buyer may have concerns about meeting a stranger alone, especially if they are bringing cash.
- Never trust an unknown person who contacts you and claims to put you in touch with interested buyers for an advance fee.
- Do not hand over goods until having received full payment.
- Cash is the easiest payment method, but unsuitable for large amounts.
- Use a bank draft for large amounts. Always verify the bank draft with the issuing bank before handing over the goods. Either call the bank, or go in to one of their branches.
- Never accept foreign cheques as payment.
- If you're receiving a large amount of cash, ask someone you know in retail or hospitality trade to check the notes.
Selling a vehicle?
When you sell a vehicle you must register the change of ownership. The Citizens Information website has all the information you need about change of vehicle ownership in Ireland.